[pp.int.general] The USA to copy French `anti-piracy' laws?

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu
Wed Nov 25 17:35:27 CET 2009

On 25 nov. 09, at 17:19, Robbie E. C. A. Hontelé wrote:

> What can European Court do against this? Say that the member state
> has been
> a "bad boy" and needs to pay a fine? Kick the member state from the
> Union?

If one member state violates the directiv and the case comes before
the ECJ, the judgments are followed! The court doesn't need to kick
the state out of the EU, the fines do their job as does the "bad
publicity". So if the ECJ finds the national transposition to be in
contradiction to the directive it can act!

The problem is the wording of the Telecom Directive. No word of a
judge, no definition of what exactly can lead to the internet being
cut off. Of course that's the way directives work (they have to be
"open"), but that's also the reason why 3 strikes is still possible.

The next problem is ACTA. When the EU signs the treaty (not the member
states, the EU itself. The EU can sign treaties in 5 days, cf- Lisbon
Treaty), then the international treaty (ACTA) prevails over national
and secondary community law (directives and regulations). Then the few
limitations included in the telecom package are worthless.

The ECJ has been quite imaginative in the past when it comes to
protect citizen's rights. Even if I doubt it, one can still hope if
finds a way to limit the consequences of ACTA. One way might be to
extend article 11 of the charter on fundamental rights (binding on the
member states in 5 days, cf. Lisbon Treaty) relating to freedon of
expression and information to the internet. Article 11 § 1 of the
Charter : "This right shall include freedom to hold opinions
and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference
by public authority and regardless of frontiers." I wouldn't lose hope
that the ECJ one days makes it impossible for public authorities to
cut the internet connection on the basis of that article!

It's sad to hope for appointed judges to protect fundamental rights,
but our elected representants don't seem to take the issue very
seriously (including our own Pirate MEP).

Jerry