[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Edison Carter the.real.edison.carter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 20:55:17 CET 2009

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. This *is* basically the German system.
The code is on the ticket as a kind of two-dimensional barcode, and the
conductors (guards) carry a protable laser reader to read it. In the end,
systems that allow you to print tickets at home depend on some
irreproducible physical token, if I am correct. (Some people believe that
the Mexican flue epidemy is used as a pretext to inject a nanochip! - so
that the authorities can follw RMS wherever he goes)

It should not require that at all.

To top up my cellphone I buy a 12 digit number, which usually gets printed
on ordinary receipt paper. I can make as many copies as I like with a cheap
reciept printer or even text the number to my wife to top up her phone, but
I can only use the number once. The paper object is worthless, the number
contains the value.

If the conductors carry an internet-enabled (GSM or whatever, I think many
trains even have wifi these days) scanner then they could scan the barcode
and simply check with a central system that the other details (price,
journey) on the ticket are as they should be, and that it had only been used
once. End of problem. You can print thirty copies of the ticket if you like,
but only the first one presented to a conductor will work and the rest are
worthless.