[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sun Nov 29 21:28:52 CET 2009

>> Perhaps I did not make myself clear. This *is* basically the German
>> system. The code is on the ticket as a kind of two->> dimensional
>> barcode, and the conductors (guards) carry a protable laser reader to
>> read it. In the end, systems that allow >> you to print tickets at home
>> depend on some irreproducible physical token, if I am correct. (Some
>> people believe that >> the Mexican flue epidemy is used as a pretext to
>> inject a nanochip! - so that the authorities can follw RMS wherever he >>
>> goes)

> It should not require that at all.

> To top up my cellphone I buy a 12 digit number, which usually gets printed
> on ordinary receipt paper. I can make as many > copies as I like with a
> cheap reciept printer or even text the number to my wife to top up her
> phone, but I can only use the > number once. The paper object is
> worthless, the number contains the value.

> If the conductors carry an internet-enabled (GSM or whatever, I think many
> trains even have wifi these days) scanner then > they could scan the
> barcode and simply check with a central system that the other details
> (price, journey) on the ticket are > as they should be, and that it had
> only been used once. End of problem. You can print thirty copies of the
> ticket if you
> like, but only the first one presented to a conductor will work and the
> rest are worthless.

Interesting, because the Dutch minister of "traffic and water management" (a
historical combination ...) announced the other day that pretty soon free
internet will be made available in trains. Then the conductors can use the
same system - for the approach you propose!

Unfortunetaly, unlike in Germany, we only have power sockets in first class
carriages, and (by far) not all of them. Here second class travelers are
second class people who don't need power for laptops. I look forward to a
true solution of *the* battery problem.

reinier

Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net