[pp.int.general] Pirate Party UK Critism

Kai Mast kai.mast at freakybytes.org
Sat Oct 3 22:26:14 CEST 2009

Am Samstag, den 03.10.2009, 20:50 +0100 schrieb Eric Priezkalns:
> Erm... I mean we in the UK need money in order to offer a candidate
> in
> every seat in every election.  Not every country has the same
> democratic procedures.  In the UK, if we get enough votes, the party
> gets its money back.  If we don't get enough votes, we don't get the
> money back.  Currently the threshold for the general election is 5%,
> so every seat where we get less than 5% of votes, we lose our
> deposit
> of GBP500.  That means that if we matched the German result of 2%
> overall, 3% in some places, it would cost us around 350,000 Euros if
> we had a candidate standing for every seat, and we would need that
> money to begin with, just to be allowed to compete in every seat.
> That is why I don't feel bad that raising money is central to the
> strategy for PPUK.

Wow that sounds pretty wierd. This regulation basically prevent the
formation of new parties doesn't it?

My offer would be to make the boards read only. Let people at least see
what you do (dunno if it's already like that).

Thanks for explaining that to me.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: nicht verf�gbar
Type: application/pgp-signature