[pp.int.general] Some parting thoughts

Stephane Bakhos nuitari at pirateparty.ca
Mon Oct 19 17:25:05 CEST 2009

>>> Unless I've misinterpreted this, I think your arguments are out of step
>>> with the goals of the Pirate Party movement.  I think filesharers should
>>> be vindicated, and their filesharing legal.  So do the other pirates
>>> I've spoken to.  I don't really see what you stand for.
>> Maybe. Maybe not. Perhaps you should re-read my argument.
>
> I don't understand. I am a member of the *pirate* party and obviously
> I'd like to completely legalize non-commercial filesharing. I also
> thought that's one of the core ideas? *confused look*

One of the problems we're having in PPCA is that there is no clear and
succint argument to present as to why it is a good idea. Just saying that
it is the pirate party so we do filesharing isn't cutting it with the
broad public.

The attention span of many people is laughable so we cannot launch into a
detailed explanation of the privacy issues in enforcing the copyright laws
or to let the CRIA do what it wants.

A lot of times when wondering about the argument and discussing it in the
PPI channel all I get is "We are pirate party so this is what we do",
which of course sucks when dealing with the public.

Another point that would be nice to have is the reason why the PPSE
platform is against some form of levy/tax for filesharing