[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Wed Oct 21 17:26:42 CEST 2009

    - As a programmer you are able to release something under a free licence
    and then work for a company who uses [nonfree software]. As a musician you
    have to decide once (at least in germany, as in most countrys as far as
    i know).

That is true, but I don't see how it is pertinent.
I proposed protests against musicians that take a public political
stand in favor of the War on Sharing.

I did not propose to protest musicians for having record contracts.
Having a record contract does not force musicians to that public stand.

Having a personal financial interest does not justify or excuse their
stand, either.  Quite the contrary.

    - There is the justifiable hope that open souce software can replace
    closed source software one day by itself.

I am disappointed that you use the terms "open source" and "closed
source" since their purpose is to downplay the ethical issues of the
free software movement.  For more explanation, see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

					      Linux or gimp can replace
    windows or photoshop once they have developed nearly the same features,

Linux cannot replace Windows, because Windows is an operating system
and Linux is just a kernel.

If you are talking about the GNU+Linux operating system, which is
basically GNU with Linux added, please don't call it "Linux".  It's
not fair to give the credit for our work to Mr Torvalds and give none
of it to us.  See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html.