[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Bernhard Schillo b.schillo at gmx.net
Wed Oct 21 18:46:55 CEST 2009

Richard Stallman schrieb:
>     - As a programmer you are able to release something under a free licence
>     and then work for a company who uses [nonfree software]. As a musician you
>     have to decide once (at least in germany, as in most countrys as far as
>     i know).
>
> That is true, but I don't see how it is pertinent.
> I proposed protests against musicians that take a public political
> stand in favor of the War on Sharing.
>
> I did not propose to protest musicians for having record contracts.
> Having a record contract does not force musicians to that public stand.
>
> Having a personal financial interest does not justify or excuse their
> stand, either.  Quite the contrary.

Okay, you're right on that point. I acknowledge that i (mis)used your
suggestion a little bit to tell my general opinion on copyright. ;-)

To get back to your suggestion: I think, we would give artists who
oppose filesharing too much attention with protesting them. They are not
really important and in the most cases they wouldn't have success
without the monopoly industry behind them. So we should better support
"good" arists and make protest e.g. at trade fairs for music.

Perhaps in some cases, for some artists, this reasons may weigh less
than the advantages. But i think that has to be decided in the
individual case.

>     - There is the justifiable hope that open souce software can replace
>     closed source software one day by itself.
>
> I am disappointed that you use the terms "open source" and "closed
> source" since their purpose is to downplay the ethical issues of the
> free software movement.  For more explanation, see
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

Oh sorry. I will keep this in mind. And of course apply it.
> 					      Linux or gimp can replace
>     windows or photoshop once they have developed nearly the same features,
>
> Linux cannot replace Windows, because Windows is an operating system
> and Linux is just a kernel.
>
> If you are talking about the GNU+Linux operating system, which is
> basically GNU with Linux added, please don't call it "Linux".  It's
> not fair to give the credit for our work to Mr Torvalds and give none
> of it to us.  See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html.

Okay, i think i have to learn a little bit more about the free software
movement. Thanks for talking to me anyway :-)

Regards
Bernhard Schillo