[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Eric Priezkalns eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk
Wed Oct 21 17:42:02 CEST 2009

On 21 Oct 2009, at 16:26, Richard Stallman wrote:

> It is a mistake to judge copyright issues primarily in terms of what
> might be good for the copyright holder.  The issue is what's good for
> the public.

Beautifully put.

 From the principle of delivering what's good for the public, we can
derive the need to also deliver some good to the copyright holder - in
order to appropriately incentivize creation, get optimal results for
the public, and because the copyright holder is also part of the
public.  But we can't derive the need to deliver good to the public by
starting with what is optimal for the copyright holder.  Optimizing
the good of one party in preference to the interests of many must
inevitably result in some form of tyranny.