[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 22 16:29:49 CEST 2009

2009/10/21 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>:

> That is true, but I don't see how it is pertinent.
> I proposed protests against musicians that take a public political
> stand in favor of the War on Sharing.
>
> I did not propose to protest musicians for having record contracts.
> Having a record contract does not force musicians to that public stand.

Indeed not.

If a person chooses to take a public stand on a political issue,
that's a political act, and other people are entitled to evaluate and
question their politics, and if they decide they don't like it, not to
do business with that person any more.

Maybe PP could have a blacklist of musicians who've made public
statements against filesharing or internet freedom, and recommend to
our supporters that they don't buy from these people. And maybe we
could also have a whitlist of the growing number of musicians who
publically support our stand, and we could recomment to our supporters
that they support these musicians financially (and maybe there could
be a worldwide pirate website showcasing these people's work).

Many music fans agree with us politically, so if we did that, it would
incentivise musicians to publically agree with us, and disincentivise
them from disagreeing with us.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
Campaigns Officer / Press Officer, Pirate Party UK