[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Mikko Särelä msarela at cc.hut.fi
Thu Oct 22 16:49:11 CEST 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Philip Hunt wrote:
> Maybe PP could have a blacklist of musicians who've made public
> statements against filesharing or internet freedom, and recommend to
> our supporters that they don't buy from these people.

I believe this is one of those bad ideas. One of the important advantages
Pirate Party has enjoyed in media and public's eye comes from the fact
that our opponentsdwants us disappear. Some even have stated we should be
illegal.

In my opinion we should not attack musicians who are publicly for
copyrights especially by blacklisting them. In essence, such action could
be viewed as a stance against democracy.

On the other hand, handing out fliers outside such musicians concerts,
which educate people about the harm copyrights are doing to our countries,
would be more than welcome.

Let's not start the dirt throwing. If musicians or media companies do
that, go public and show them for what they are. Eventually we will win.

Let us show that we are the reasonable, intelligent people who have
actually thought about these issues and let our opponents be as media
stupid as they want to be - they do not understand the changes Internet
has brought and will fall, hard.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then
you win." Mahatma Gandhi

--
Mikko Särelä
"It is through exchange that difference becomes a blessing, not a