[pp.int.general] Some parting thoughts

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Fri Oct 23 21:51:14 CEST 2009

> 2009/10/23 Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl>:
>> You are simply reinventing copyright.
>
> No I'm not, and I suggest you use inline comments (like I'm doing now)
> so you can point out where I'm supposedly "reinventing copyright".

I think we are confused by the length of this threat. Originally I commented
to RMS objecting the idea of copyright as a compensation, notably for
republication of writings. I argued that - indeed - in an ideal world, this
kind of copyright should not exist. BUT that it is a matter of social
justice to accepted it *given* the way journalists are presently
compensated. Oops! RMS will be outrageous if I use the word "compensation".

>> Well, somehow it is reasonable. But
>> often it is very unreasonable. If you believe that present copyright is
>> OK,
>
> I believe no such thing> My position is that non-commercial copying
> should be legal, and the term of copyright should be shortened. This
> is mainstream PP thinking.
RMS and I went beyond that. I think it actually serves a political purpose
to emphasize that there are other objects of copyright than (music and
movie) entertainment. E.g. are you aware that this post is subject to
copyright? If it is stored on a hard disk, you may even pay for it, via the
media levies in countries like Germany, IIRC. Mailing list contributors
could apply for a refund via a collecting society! Potentially a flame war
can make you very rich.
Don't get me wrong, I am only illustrating the crazyness of the system.
Anyone promoting media levies should be prepared to accept a levy on blank
paper. Next step is to tax the air used for singing.

>> don't pollute the Pirate Party mailing list. Incidentally, the process
>> you
>> are going through is not uncommon. I heard the copyright reform guru
>> Laurens
>
> ITYM "Lawrence"
Ah, thanks a lot. But you understood whom I meant.
>> Lessig
>>
>> I don't understand why you are so upset from by ideas about journalists.
>
> I don't know what you mean.
It was someone else on this list. I talk to the list. Someone said that
copyright is the only protection for journalists (or simular words). Anyway,
the problems are very different for journalists. They would not mind for a
five year copyright: a five year old news item is no longer a news item. And
noncommercial filesharing is not an item for text, afaik.
Still it is useful for imagination to be aware that legally there is no
difference between music and text. Every web page (beyond a very basic level
of originality) is by law protected by copyright. No, you are not a criminal
if you browse the web: there is something called an implied licence. But
then again: why not assume an implied licence for music?
The answer: the *greed* of SONY, EMI and a handful of other media
conclomerates.
reinier