[pp.int.general] The Pirate Bay and the Pirate Party

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sun Oct 25 21:17:45 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 20:41 +0100, Félix Robles wrote:
> But why should Google or any other webpage have to remove links to
> torrent files? That's like removing from a webpage the GPS coordinates
> of a knife.

That is wrong in quite a number of ways. I suggest you learn a good deal
more about Bittorrent, and what a tracker is.

Google, as referred to in this discussion, is removing content.

TPB runs (or until very recently ran) a tracker; it tracks who has which
bits of a file that is being shared.

Prior to their conviction, they were quite condescending, sarcastic, and
dismissive in how they responded to takedown requests. They went as far
as publishing requests and matching responses. Media conglomerates were,
bluntly, told to education themselves about how bittorrent works. They
employed people do do so for them; they tasked them with developing
tools to monitor trackers and identify torrent participants.

I would assume this is the reason many bittorrent clients now support a
blacklist/bad-clients list. I would suspect tools were developed to feed
bad data to swarm members, and to find out who has what data.

OTOH... If they're *selling* any of these tools and not sharing their
additions they may be in violation of the license bittorrent is released
under.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil