[pp.int.general] Environmentalists and pirates, free information perspective

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 12:08:01 CET 2009

2009/10/27 Thomas Burke <mrthomasjburke at gmail.com>

> As much as RMS makes me laugh and as much as I rarely agree totally with
> his arguments in this instance he is right. The energy consumption of a few
> computers isnt much and doesnt pose as big a threat as say a car factory or
> even a pasta factory. If we want to attract environmentalists then go for
> things like limitations on emissions from businesses and the like.
>
> I wholeheartedly disagree. States have been putting up limitations and
talked at great length about how ambitious their goals are for several years
and nothing gets done. What's a goal if you don't have a road to get there?

The Pirate Party can provide an easy way there: increased dissemination of
knowledge and technology and less opportunities for especially western
countries to withhold such information from the rest of the world (or even
non-originator western companies) as would help them "go green".

> 2009/10/27 Philip Hunt <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
>
> 2009/10/27 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>:
>> > Stopping global warming is supremely important, indeed vital to avoid
>> > worldwide disaster.  Since electricity used by computers is a tiny
>> > fraction, recommendations need to be based on overall emissions, not
>> > focused on computers.
>>
>> The think to do is generate electricity without incurring carbon
>> emissions, e.g. using nuclear, solar, tidal, hydroelectric, wind, etc.
>>
>> > I don't decide Pirate Party policies, but I think the right thing to
>> > do is to tell business to jump in the lake,
>>
>> How do you do that withoutdecreasing people's standard of living?
>>
>> > and enforce major emissions
>> > cuts in the coming few years.
>>
>> and use energy more efficiently.
>>
>> --
>> Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
>> Campaigns Officer / Press Officer, Pirate Party UK
>>

> --

> which it is addressed and may contain confidential and or privileged
> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
>
> If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
> material from any computer.

Amelia Andersdotter
Kommunikationansvarig UPF
Lissabon-MEP