[pp.int.general] Environmentalists and pirates, free information perspective

Thomas Burke mrthomasjburke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 11:47:11 CET 2009

As much as RMS makes me laugh and as much as I rarely agree totally with his
arguments in this instance he is right. The energy consumption of a few
computers isnt much and doesnt pose as big a threat as say a car factory or
even a pasta factory. If we want to attract environmentalists then go for
things like limitations on emissions from businesses and the like.

Having said that though I am one of the people that believe Global Warming
is a sham but damn if it isnt a good excuse to tax people. Youd almost think
that was the reason people started going on about it in the first place.

2009/10/27 Philip Hunt <cabalamat at googlemail.com>

> 2009/10/27 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>:
> > Stopping global warming is supremely important, indeed vital to avoid
> > worldwide disaster.  Since electricity used by computers is a tiny
> > fraction, recommendations need to be based on overall emissions, not
> > focused on computers.
>
> The think to do is generate electricity without incurring carbon
> emissions, e.g. using nuclear, solar, tidal, hydroelectric, wind, etc.
>
> > I don't decide Pirate Party policies, but I think the right thing to
> > do is to tell business to jump in the lake,
>
> How do you do that withoutdecreasing people's standard of living?
>
> > and enforce major emissions
> > cuts in the coming few years.
>
> and use energy more efficiently.
>
> --
> Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
> Campaigns Officer / Press Officer, Pirate Party UK

which it is addressed and may contain confidential and or privileged
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.