[pp.int.general] Environmentalists and pirates, free information perspective

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 13:29:14 CET 2009

2009/10/27 Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>

> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 10:47 +0000, Thomas Burke wrote:
> > As much as RMS makes me laugh and as much as I rarely agree totally
> > with his arguments in this instance he is right. The energy
> > consumption of a few computers isnt much and doesnt pose as big a
> > threat as say a car factory or even a pasta factory. If we want to
> > attract environmentalists then go for things like limitations on
> > emissions from businesses and the like.
>
> Well, regardless of your *beliefs* on _Climate Change_, whether or not
> you accept the general scientific consensus on the issue, or the
> ever-so-slightly more contentious assertion that human activity is
> significantly responsible, please don't destroy your credibility in the
> eyes of the majority of the scientific community by a. calling it Global
> Warming, or b. labelling it a "sham".
>

> Okay. This is going a bit off-topic now: Regardless of whether global
warming is a sham, a reality or something in between, there _is_ a large
consensus among politicians on a global, regional and local level that
something needs to be done about it.

What i propose the Pirate Parties do, is not involve themselves with
limitations on carbon emissions or potential reduction goals, but simply to
involve outselves on a more general level with access to knowledge and
information.

If you read my original post, you will notice that the EU consistently
neglects tech transfer issues when it comes to climate change: they want to
put up a lot of goals for the coming 20 years, but don't want to create
pathways to get there. We can benefit politically by criticizing that
narrow-mindedness and suggesting that we have the pathway (access to
knowledge), if they want to use it.
''''
Don't make this into a discussion about something other than it is.

--
Amelia Andersdotter
Kommunikationansvarig UPF