[pp.int.general] Environmentalists and pirates, free information perspective

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Oct 27 13:47:11 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 13:29 +0100, Amelia Andersdotter wrote:

> 2009/10/27 Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>

> What i propose the Pirate Parties do, is not involve themselves with
> limitations on carbon emissions or potential reduction goals, but
> simply to involve outselves on a more general level with access to
> knowledge and information.

That, I would wholeheartedly endorse.

> If you read my original post, you will notice that the EU consistently
> neglects tech transfer issues when it comes to climate change: they
> want to put up a lot of goals for the coming 20 years, but don't want
> to create pathways to get there. We can benefit politically by
> criticizing that narrow-mindedness and suggesting that we have the
> pathway (access to knowledge), if they want to use it.

They're being lobbied to create these artificial barriers; more
worryingly, they allow corporate involvement in EU research where
companies get to lock up knowledge resulting from their involvement.

As you say, there seems no interest in legislatively compelling
companies to share technology and knowledge at a realistic cost.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil