[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Thu Oct 29 12:05:15 CET 2009

> I don't want to pay for the music I won't like.
> So I prefer listening it before supporting it. And I want to support it by
> going to the concert.

So you think artists only produce records to become rich? Visiting
concerts is a good way to give them money, but artists also love selling
copies...

> Note that you're talking about "cheques". Cheques are from the past, we
> are in the "paypal" era.

Cheques, Paypal, Credit Card... Does money depend on the way it is
transfered?

>> To be consistent, I suppose those artists music won't be played freely
>> (as
>> > in "gratis") in the radio/TV, right? So maybe they're an smaller range
>> of
>> > artists than the ones in my example...
>>
>> If you believe, that content in tv/radio comes for free, we still have
>> discuss a lot...
>
> As "free" as downloading it from myspace, jamendo or bittorrent...

If an artists uploads his music for free streaming at myspace, it is his
choice - to offer it without getting money for. If he uploads it at
jamendo, he receives money from donations (if there are any...) and a
share from the advertisment. If someone pirates it via BitTorrent, he does
not receive any money - and it was not his choice to do so.

> In fact, here in Spain (and I suppose in other countries too) the artists
> have to PAY to be in the top-lists!

The have to pay to be registered for the charts. And I think that is fair
- because better positions there grant them a chance for better sales.

Christian