[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 17:32:34 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Christian Hufgard
<pp at christian-hufgard.de> wrote:
>>> You mean a work, that cannot be easily copied?
>>
>> Per definition a normal 8 - 5 work is not as a music artist, you can not
>> copy the work someone does at the cash register in a supermarket, can you,
>> cay you copy the food that he charges his customers for? Nope, that is not
>> in the scope of a 3d printer.. ;)
>
> So if an artist practices 8-5 a day so he can play his instruments better,
> you would not accept this as work?

Thats not so good an argument. I worked warehousing when I was at
university. If I wanted to wear a back support, I had to buy it
myself. If I wanted to go to a gym, to bulk up (I'm a scrawny wretch)
I'd have to pay for it. Very few companies will pay for people to
'train' for skills which indirectly benefit. The warehousing company
might have paid for my forklift license renewal, because that's an
additional skill which can be used for the company. How many data
entry jobs pay for typing lessons (or even for a company copy of mavis
beacon) to speed up data entry? Very few that I'm aware of. You're
either at the minimum standard to do the job, or you don't get the
job. Doesn't matter if I'm john smith, Slash, Hank Marvin, or john
Lennon, as long as I can play the guitar well enough to play the songs
that's all the job entails. If I can play it half-dead and stoned, or
need 100% concentration really isn't an issue.