[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Félix Robles redeadlink at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:32:26 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de
> wrote:

> Félix Robles wrote:
> > Do you mean that music engineers and producers work for free at first and
> > are only paid after they start to sell copies of the album? I don't think
> > so.
>
> No. But they do not get paied anymore, if people stop buying copies of
> music. Crosspromoting music recordings with live converts does not pay off
> - unless you are at the top of the charts.

And you are "at the top of the charts" (and with that I mean being a famous
musician, not one that sells many albums) if everyone listens to you. That
is easier if you give the people the chance to hear your music for free.

And you are wrong, it's crosspromoting live concerts with music recordings
that does not pay off - unless you are "at the top of the charts". Only very
famous and already rich musicians earn a considerable part of their money
from records, 99% of musicians live out of live concerts.

> > Normally, when I download music, I download the whole discography. And if
> > I like them and they come to visit us I go to their concert. Then they
> > earn enough money to pay the producers of their next album.
>
> And you really believe, that visiting a single concert can fully
> compensate downloading the whole discography?

They should be glad I wanted to listen to them and invest my time and ears
on them, there's nothing I have to compensate. I am just freely accessing to
culture. I'm not making artists lose any money because if I couldn't get
their music from the internet for free, I would not buy their music, and
it's because I download their music that, perhaps, maybe, at least I consier
to go to one of their concerts.

If at this moment you are considering my arguments are crazy, reconsider
that, because those arguments have been good enouh for my country, Spain.
Here it is legal to share copyrighted products (except for sotware) like
movies, music or books if you don't do it for profit.

Félix Robles