[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Fri Oct 30 12:22:56 CET 2009

>> I meant the case, that you modify gpl code and release the new code as
>> yours.
>

> Software is different from other copyrighted works like songs: software
> has the executable and the code, music has just the song

Music has the score and the final song. Give the same score to different
groups and you will get to different songs.

> every musician  gets the "code" just by listening to the song.

That's as if you'd say, that every programme gets the "code" just be
executing the program...

> I don't know why you compare the executable/code thing to the music
> /money thing. It makes no sense: the executable/code problem deals with
> freedom, the music/money thing deals just with money. Money and freedom
> are not the same thing at all.

Oh, at the moment I am just talking about freedom. The freedom to take GPL
code, modify it and sell the result without releasing it under GPL.

Christian