[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Félix Robles redeadlink at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 12:17:27 CET 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de

> >> Technically not. But you use something without compensating the creator.
> >> What would you say, if someone uses your code without releasing the new
> >> software under GPL again? You have no loss in money, there ist just less
> >> free code than if he had released it under GPL again.
> >>
> > If you modify a GPL software and you don't release the code nor the
> > executable,  to anyone but you, that's fine under the GPL license.
>
> I meant the case, that you modify gpl code and release the new code as
> yours.

Software is different from other copyrighted works like songs: software has
the executable and the code, music has just the song (every musician gets
the "code" just by listening to the song). I don't know why you compare the
executable/code thing to the music /money thing. It makes no sense: the
executable/code problem deals with freedom, the music/money thing deals just
with money. Money and freedom are not the same thing at all.