[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Fri Oct 30 15:58:54 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 15:25 +0100, Christian Hufgard wrote:
> Brian McNeil wrote:

> >> I thaugt we were talking about the ready mixed up song. If you cover
> >> something, thats a totally different issue.
> >
> > I have a perfect example of this - not picking out and changing the
> > bassline, but using someone else's music with your lyrics.
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL9-esIM2CY
> >
> > You *should* listen, it's a pro-PP argument.
>
> Wasn't it nice from Lilly that she released an instrumental? This way of
> modification is pretty easy. And I think you know as well as I do, that I
> did ment a little bit more complex changes.

Yes, I know enough about software and enough about music to see the
difference you were emphasising. And, it likely wasn't Lily releasing an
instrumental version. It would be a label she'd licensed to releasing
that version for some purpose that makes them more money - because they
have all the tracks and taking vocals out is likely 5 minutes work.
Spotify offers this as a 'karaoke' add-on to their service. A friend and
I 'abused' that when we wrote some nasty lyrics for 'I'd like to teach
the world to sing'.

> This is similar as if you take OpenOffice, create a new binary ooffice
> with a new splashscreen and let it execute the original office.

Yes, it is - and no it isn't.

And, I'm working out how to do something fairly comparable at the
moment. I'm sick and tired of getting asked to fix people's
crap-infested Windows computers, running dozens of scanners and stuff,
and ending up saying "It's dead Jim". The computer owner *has* a license
for all the software that came preinstalled on the computer, why
shouldn't I be able to freely get a copy, put it on a CD or USB drive,
and fix their computer? Have *you* even tried looking for drivers for
some of the really cheap junk that goes in a home computer?

Most Linux distros are beyond the average person getting the same
functionality as an off-the-shelf PC. I'm trying to do a tweaked Ubuntu
for people in my area that gets them ~80-90% of the way there and
advertises my contact details. More complicated? Pay by the hour, and I
walk away with the knowledge of how to do what you needed. Want it
packed up to give to anyone you like? I'll do it, pay by the hour.

> P.S. nice track.

I've listened to some of the musician's other stuff where he is sole
copyright holder - not exactly my taste. But, he's apparently come to
the conclusion that he's not "cheap" enough to work with big labels. It
makes for a lot of hard work making a living from his music, but I'll
bet he sleeps well at night.

He sees the current situation as inherently prejudiced against
musicians. To try and put it from his point of view, the big media
companies are screaming, "OMG! If we're not telling people what to
listen to, they might find something *subversive*, something that we
didn't make loads of money from."

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil