[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Sat Oct 31 12:15:43 CET 2009

Richard Stallman wrote:
>>     Yeah. But they use it in other way. The argue, that it is a matter of
>>     rights. I think it is a matter of respect. If an artist does not want me
>>     to consume his work - his problem.
>
> Listening to recorded music does not consume the recording.
> Running a program does not consume the program.

Would you prefere the word "use music" and "use program"? I think it
does even fit better, because it implies that you have a use of it.

> To refer to using a work as "consuming" it is not only misleading.  It
> also suggests a narrowly economistic way to look at the issues.  So it
> is best avoided.  See
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html.

I'll give my best to do so in the futuere and use "use" instead of
"consume".

> You seem to be running through all the argumemts and all the
> propaganda terms that the publishers use.  It would seem that you
> are actually their supporter.

Definitivly not. I am a strong supporter of free content - thus I fight
the (illegal) use of unfree content. The more unfree contest is used,
the less free content is used.

> It is not up to me to decide what if anything to do about that.
> I bring it to the attention of the list so that others can decide.

You did this already some times before. :) And I can only repeat, that
it would be pretty absurd for a support of the content industry to run a
portal supporting free content and alternativ ways to promote content.
All content there is in german, but you can use the translation tool of
your choice, maybe you believe me then, that I am a supporter of free
content: http://musik.klarmachen-zum-aendern.de

Christian