[pp.int.general] Greens saying Pirate Parties unnecessary

Reinier Bakels rbakels at ffii.org
Thu Sep 17 08:17:11 CEST 2009

Sometimes terms like "information law" (and "information rights") are used.
It is a generic concept, not a specific right per se.
Joseph Kohler (1849-1919) devised the term "immaterial goods"
("Immaterialgüter" in German) - but any obligation is immaterial as well.
"Property" is a specific type of rights. The French revolution stated that
property is a "droit inviolable et sacré" (a holy and inviolable right): the
state may not interfere with ownership at will (which was something new in
those days). But that related to *real* property. All textbooks about
"intellectual property" start by saying that it is NOT a form of real
property! In a brilliant article, Machlup and Penrose explained 60 years ago
that the term "intellectual property" was introduced in the 19th century to
*suggest* a similarity with real property and thus to benefit from the above
statement from the French revolution.
Still, copyright etc. are "property rights" in the system of law in the
sense that they are a "ius in rem", i.e. rights associated with an object,
to be exercised against anybody, as opposed to contractual rights that only
apply between parties. A property of "property rights" in this sense is that
they constitute a "close system", and can only be introduced by the
legislator: else people would not know about such rights.
"Property rules" in this sense can be contrasted with "liability rules" -
the topic of a seminal article by Calabresi and Melamed (about 1970), who
argue that proerty rules often give the owner so much power that an
undesirable price will result.