[pp.int.general] EU block filter

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 00:36:53 CEST 2010

On 31.03.2010 07:53, Reinier Bakels wrote:
> One argument is to question the legitimacy and legality of filter
> measures, and the bove arguments are excellent. Introducing limited
> censorship brings us on the slippery slope of more censorship.
Well it's exactly this "slippery slope" argument which I don't buy,
because if applied with enough creativity it can be used to question
each and every sort of law and law enforcement. After all, arrest,
imprisonment or search warrants are violations of some pretty basic
human rights - so won't they lead to a rapid decline into totalitarism?
The answer is no if certain rules are applied - and it's just those
rules that constitute a cornerstone of legislative principles in a free
society. For example, the searation of powers ("those passing laws
aren't the same people who apply them"), the presumption of innocence,
equylity before the law, the power to convict resting solely with courts
which have to follow certain very strict procedures - and, basically,
the idea of democracy itself which says that those who pass laws remain
under control of those to whom the laws apply. If you look at almost
everything we fight against, whether data retention, site blocking, ACTA
or full-body scanners, you'll see that the basic problems is that they
violate one or more of those rules. For example, the main problem with
data retention is not that it happens by itself, but that it happens 1)
to everybody, without there existing any suspicion or court order
warranting this measure for a certain individual and 2) the access to
data collected this way is not regulated and controlled enough making
abuse possible.

> Another argument is that the emphasis on filtering distracs from the
> real issue, as for instance has been pointed out e.g. by Bits Of
> Freedom (https://www.bof.nl/over-ons/english/). Blocked child porn is
> still not removed from the internet. And smart pedophiles will find
> other ways to share porn.
This I completely agree with.

> I agree, but reluctantly. I think than pedophiles are more likely to
> abuse *real* children if they don't have access to child porn. Which
> should not abuse children if it is virtual. I guess, banning even
> virtual child porn violates the human right of freedom of sexual
> orientation. People don't choose to be pedophiles. Like homosexuality
> it is not an illness - that can be cured.
I, too, have a problem with cartoons or novels depicting child porn
being treated in basically the same way as pronography in which children
are actually being abused, but again - let's hold that discussion back
for the moment or at least out of this thread.

Best regards,
Boris