[pp.int.general] Pirates Democracy - Liquid Democracy

Steffen Ortmann steffen.ortmann at pp-international.net
Fri Apr 2 22:51:18 CEST 2010

Hello,

2010/4/2  <bakel362 at planet.nl>:
> In my perception, it is dangerous to mix the prime PP objectives
> (intellectual property reform, privacy) with ideas of improving democracy -
> by liquid democracy or other ideas. The democratic "quality" of various
> systems worldwide is VERY different, and so are the solutions to any
> problems. In EU, the problems is that the European Union (Commission) has a
> lot to say, while the European Parliament still has limited powers (albeit
> improved under the Lisbon treaty). On a national level, one of the questions
> is whether referenda should be promoted. I am critical. Referenda tend to
> follow the "gesundes Volksempfinden" - German for the "sound feelings of
> ordinary people" - which is a very suspect indea since the 1930s-1940s ...

I don't really understand why you bring that into the discussion at the
moment? Liquid feedback is still years away from being used on a national
level. At the moment we start using it to promote democracy 'within'
PP-DE.

> Liquid democracy in its full extent is an esotheric, 22nd century idea.

It's not. Liquid feedback is its first working implementation AFAIK.

> PP should not be a "think tank" for the next millennium, but a political party
> thaT tries to change the world before the elextion - if just a little bit.

I think PP should be that "think tank". I don't want to just sit around and
mourn about what other party's do. It's easy to criticise but hard to bring
good solutions. Liquid feed back might well be one of those good solutions.

--
regards,
Steffen Ortmann