[pp.int.general] Pirates Democracy - Liquid Democracy

Reinier Bakels rbakels at ffii.org
Sat Apr 3 10:32:31 CEST 2010

> I don't really understand why you bring that into the discussion at the
> moment? Liquid feedback is still years away from being used on a national
> level. At the moment we start using it to promote democracy 'within'
> PP-DE.
Aha (Erlebnis), perhaps I was mistaken.
<snip>

> > PP should not be a "think tank" for the next millennium, but a political
> > party
> > that tries to change the world before the elextion - if just a little
> > bit.
>
> I think PP should be that "think tank". I don't want to just sit around
> and
> mourn about what other party's do. It's easy to criticise but hard to
> bring
> good solutions. Liquid feed back might well be one of those good
> solutions.

It is hard enough to make proposals that both appeal large numbers of voters
and can stand the scrutiny of (educated) critics. If opponents make
*credible* arguments, that appeal potential voters, PP proposals are
worthless.

Perhaps the emphasis in Germany is more on privacy, while in The Netherlands
privacy never was a political issue, and the PP emphasis (consequently) will
be more on copyright. Which is a more difficult topic (although e.g. elderly
people are *very* happy with pervasive camera surveillance because it gives
them a feeling of safety - right or wrong).

In NL, the Greens adopted some PP ideas in their program, which was recently
published in view of the June parliament elections. They proposed a 10 year
copyright. Almost immediately, a group of writers (authors) reacted with a
newspaper article, saying (basically) that they deserve a decent income,
which won't be possible if such proposals become law. A law professor
reacted by saying that theft = theft, and pointed to international
obligations that are *very* hard to change.

Some pirates argue that it is not their job to devise alternate schemes for
author compensation. In my opinion, I think that the political argument can
be strengthened if PP does have an idea how to counter such objections
("writers will starve"). Besides, I believe that it is basically the
constitutional duty of an elected politician to consider the interest of
society, not just of a single group (but I am not sure whether that fiction
applies to other countries as well).

In sum, I believe that there are tough policy questions for pirates that
need an answer short term. Plans for the 22nd century can wait. A rough
vision is enough.

reinier