[pp.int.general] The conference - what went wrong; how can we do better?

Wolfgang Preiss w.preiss at gmx.de
Wed Apr 21 09:49:50 CEST 2010

Hello Andrew,

thank you for pointing out the problems for the remote deligates. As it
comes for the camera problem, I am the one to blame, and I apologize for
the delay in fixing the camera, as I took now and then breaks from the
conference, after I have been no deligate, but was only there for the
streaming.

I wasn't aware of the importance of the stream for remote deligates, as
I thought it was mainly a trancpary thing, it occoured later to me how
important it really was, so on the second day I took less breaks and
tried to cover any details.

Also I am the one to blame for the presentational website which should
have shown the beamer display. I wrote a tool which isn't (as proofed
now) capable handling weak internet connections or properly
reconnecting. I absolutly have to work on this. To my defense I need to
say, it was the second time I used this option at a pirate conference.
The first time was one week before at the conference of the pirate party
bavaria in Fürth Germany, where the tool worked perfectly.

I also could have added text overlays informing the viewers about breaks
and when the conference will continue.

As I mentioned above, the setup was designed to handle trancparancy, not
participation, which demands a whole different way of handling problems,
like deligate feedback. Next time (if the board and conference task team
decides on me to handle streaming again) there has to be a whole
different setup. Like:

- The remote deligate chat needs to be on a large display with a beamer,
so the present deligates can read the remote deligates comments.
- it must be possible to interact with the remotes verbally, to call in
via skype or other video conference software, also being displayed on a
large display.
- at a loss of  internet connection the conference must be halted until
remote deligate can participate again.
- a remote deligates speaker must be present whose only task is to take
care about the remote deligates via chat, transfering messages, speak
out admendmeds, comments, and motions
- the camera man must be present at all time, so there must be 2 who
share the task so no detail important for the remote deligates get lost

next time such an event will occour, which has the need to handle remote
deligates, there must be formed a team weeks ago to handle all those
details, so it becomes a perfect event for the remotes to participate. I
am willing to take that task next time, and to form a team to handle
this, if requested by the board and conference planning team.

So far the points I am responsible for, and I apologizes for the lack of
professionalism

As it comes to the other points you mentioned, there is hardly I can
say, I only can express an opinion there. As for time planning, the
conference is being planned as it fits best local time. Although this
means for the remote deligates to sit at 3am or earlier at the computer,
it is much easier to handle for them to do so, than for the larger
number of deligates at the conference to adapt to the time wishes of the
remote deligates. After all these can benefit participating from their
homes. After the majority of PPI members is located in europe that is a
burden for the deligates in other time zones to carry. Sorry :-)

Regards

Wolfgang

--
"Hey, don't... don't say anything. Why don't you put it in an email, then I can ignore it at my pleasure." (http://www.sleeptalkinman.blogspot.com)