[pp.int.general] O.T.: april 25: tribute to Emilio Salgari

Enrique Herrera Noya quiquetux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 18:55:14 CEST 2010

El 21/04/10 10:44, Kenneth Peiruza escribió:
> Hi all,
>
>     I like the idea, but need further information about that person in
> order to ensure it can't be counterproductive. If I can't see anything
> wrong, I completely agree.

Biography of Emilio Salgari

He was born in Verona in August 1862, son of Venetian mother and
Veronese father.In 1878 he enrolled in the "P. Sarpi" Royal Technical
and Nautical School in Venice, but did not obtain his diploma.
As a man of the sea he only embarked on one voyage, travelling up and
down the Adriatic on the "Italia Una" for three months: on the other
hand, in his fantastic itineraries, he was to lead readers around the
world, following all kinds of adventure paths.
At twenty, he published his first short story, "I selvaggi della
Papuasia", in four episodes in a Milan weekly: in 1883 he began
contributing to the Verona newspaper "La Nuova Arena", in whose columns
"La Tigre della Malesia" first appeared in October; however, his first
book, "La Favorita del Mahdi", a story that had appeared in episodes a
few years earlier, was published in 1887.
In 1892 he married Ida Peruzzi; in 1894, having moved with his family to
Turin, for Paravia he published "Il continente misterioso", set in
Australia, for Speirani "Il tesoro del Presidente del Paraguay" as well
as a collection of short sea stories, "Le novelle marinaresche di Mastro
Catrame".
In 1898, the publisher Donat, with whom he signed an exclusive contract,
convinced him to move with his family close to Genoa: in that same year,
following "I pirati della Malesia" (1896), he began a new series on
pirates, this time of Western extraction, with "Il Corsaro Nero".
In 1900, as the book "Le Tigri di Mompracem" was being published, he
moved back to Turin: the financial difficulties that were to plague
Salgari in the following years began. In the summer of 1903 his beloved
wife had leave the family to seek a cure for her ailments; in 1906,
Emilio severed his contract with Donath and went to Bemporad, for whom
he wrote as many as nineteen novels between 1907 and 1911.
In 1910, Ida's health worsened rapidly and the writer tried to commit
suicide; in April of the following year, just a few months after his
wife had been admitted into an asylum, he took his own life; just as his
father had done in 1889, and his son was to do in 1931.