[pp.int.general] Open source and 5 years of copyright

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 22:23:03 CEST 2010

On 4/27/2010 3:23 PM, Alex wrote:
> 5 years ago there was no such garbage as youtube, or twitter. ... no
> google maps.

google Maps launched October 2004, after being bought (was called
where2) so it's older than 5 years, although Youtube was launched May
2005 (so almost exactly 5 years ago) and Twitter was March 06, so I'll
give you that.

> windowd xp x64 was a big thing 5 years ago... and Adobe Flash was
> Macromedia Flash :-)
>
> 5 years is more than enough. 5 years, that's a LOT (in terms of both
> human life and technology).
> 5 years, that's ~1826 days. i don't know if i'll be alive in 5 years.
>
> anyway, that's not important. what's important is that long-term
> copyrights are useless, anti-evolutionary and make no sense.

If you ONLY think in terms of software, yes. One limited slice of the
whole is not the best way to make a broad plan. It's like saying
"Supercars can drive at 100mph without even leaving 3rd gear, so let's
make the minimum speed limit on motorways/autobahns 100mph"

You can NOT think just in terms of the little market niche you're
comfortable with, because it means in any sort of public policy debate,
you get taken from your comfort zone of 'software' and you will get
destroyed.

You also have to distinguish the technologies, from the works. "The
Kindle/iPad didn't exist 3 years ago, and the DaVinci code was the best
seller, so books should have 3 year copyrights"

This is what I'd say, initially, to be 'obvious', but it's because
unlike many, I'm not a software guy (I can't STAND software/coding) .I
have an electrical/electronic/mechanical engienering background, worked
in the music industry, then in TV, and my wife works in publishing (and
I'm working on a book, although Kaj has beaten me as the first Published
Pirate)

Andrew