[pp.int.general] we need the following information

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 03:44:29 CEST 2010

> 2010/8/12 Enrique Herrera Noya <quiquetux at gmail.com>
>>
>> need a list of drugs, pesticides, herbicides that are banned in their
>> countries.
>>

>> because here in Chile, we found that some medicines are marketed in
>> other countries are prohibited.

A country of lesser economic development is generally granted more
space within international frameworks (there's a WTO agreement on
pesticides etc I believe, which name I can't remember) to use
chemicals than industrialised nations. Similarly, developing nations
don't have to limit their carbon emission in line with the Kyoto
Agreement.

Lots of countries (read India, China, Brazil) that have seen quite
strong economic development over the last few years keep themselves on
the list of developing countries so that they can get exceptions from
pesticide bans.

Pharmaceutical products though, are a different story. Generally, each
nation has their own drug authority that clears the product for the
domestic market. Even in the EU, each member state still keeps such an
authority, even though clinical test results are shared with the US
(US studies are acknowledged) and there are central decisions (see
REACH).

Do you know if the drugs still in use in Chile are old drugs or new
drugs? I don't think there's a ban on first generation anti-psychotics
in Sweden, for instance, but they're certainly not sold or marketed
anywhere because of the lasting, damaging side-effects. They're much,
much cheaper though (patents expired).

/amelia