[pp.int.general] Pirates and election thresholds!

Daniel danielrr2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 10:59:22 CEST 2010

In Spain there certainly are thresholds in all elections. Such thresholds are: 3% in the General elections and most Autonomical elections --think of Länder in Germany (in some autonomies like Valencia this threshold goes up to the 5%). For the European Parliament it is the 1%. In municipal elections it is a huge 5%.

In practical terms, such thresholds are ineffective in all cases except the municipal elections. The D'Ont proportional system applied in Spain puts the real threshold at least one point over the  legal one. This is another reason why, in my humble and *personal* opinion, a split of the Pirate parties is Spain would do most harm than good to the cause of Pirate.

Daniel Riaño
Partido Pirata, España

Enviado desde mi iPad