[pp.int.general] SHOCKING NEWS: Accused WikiLeaks ally is being tortured!

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 02:29:40 CET 2010

On 12/17/2010 8:11 PM, Jay Emerson wrote:
> How it's SUPPOSED to be and how the government is gonna do it are 2
> different things.  Let's not assume the government is going to comply
> with SOP or feels obligated to do so.
>
> They could take him to an infamous "Black Site" or keep him in a special
> brig on a ship in international waters.

Again, Jay, you're confusing two things.
that would be true if it were regular criminal law, which is based on
location for jurisdiction. HOWEVER, irrespective (and actually,
ESPECIALLY if he was in a ship's brig in international waters) as a
member of the US military (which he will be until a court martial awards
a dishonourable discharge) he is ALWAYS subject to the UCMJ. Here's
another thing, those sites you talk about, they're also run by people
who are under the authority of the UCMJ (unless it's entirely CIA... but
they STILL use military guards) which means they're also liable for
prosecution under the UCMJ, such as an Article 92 or 98, maybe (but
probably not a A97) and at least for those issuing the orders, A133 or
A134...

I did give a link to the UCMJ already, perhaps you could try reading it...

> So yeah, there's that to think about.
>
> Jay Emerson
> Administrative Officer
> Pirate Party of New York
>
> On Dec 17, 2010 6:30 PM, "Andrew Norton" <ktetch at gmail.com
> <mailto:ktetch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Exactly, from what I've read, Rules for Court Martial 707 says a trial
> should be within 120 days.

> In a civilian trial, under state+federal laws, yes. Under the UCMJ,
> that's not an option. One thing that's complicating it is that, if I
> understand RCM's and JAG manuals right, there are 3 jobs in this.
> There's an initial investigation, a prosecution, and a defense, and JAG
> officers do all 3. I'm also told that often the officers that do the
> invesitgation, also tend to be either then prosecute or defend (or both)
>
> I've put a call in to an old aquintance of mine (he was an Army MP
> officer I used to play Delta Force 2/LW with online 8-9 years ago, see
> if he's still in the military and get some facts out of him about
> procedures)

> There is no bail in the military. If it's a minor crime, they're kept
> with their unit, major one it's pre-trial confinement. That's the
> military life.

Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net