[pp.int.general] mandatory identification in Internet shops?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Fri Feb 12 07:25:10 CET 2010

Yesterday I wanted to use Internet in a (state) university library. They asked me for my ID. Reason: computers had been used to sent threat mails, and the the police asked who had used the computer. And the library personnel said that nowadays you have to indentify yourself in any Internet shop - so they were no exception.

Is that true? In my home country (Netherlands) I hardly ever use Internet shops services.

I just made a long trip in Asia and used many internet shops there - and nobody ever asked for my ID. Yes, hotels ask your passport, but often I used Internet shops outside my hotel (if they are cheaper).

It seems this is yet another anti-privacy measure that hurts only honest citizen. If I really would like to send threat mails, I still have ample opportinities (e.g. using snail mail). And it shows that the police is the single most serious threat to privacy. Collecting privacy-violating data is one thing, but a police that believes it "naturally" has access to *everything* really frightens me.

reinier