[pp.int.general] mandatory identification in Internet shops?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Fri Feb 12 09:17:00 CET 2010

> knowing what citizens are reading has always been important to secret
> services. Did you need internet access to lookup book locations or order
> books in the library or for surfing around? It would be interesting if
> the library makes a difference between searching for books, lending
> books and surfing the web.

This is an important issue too (different though).
Public libraries in NL are now obliged to present catalog search activity
(iirc) to police authorities. A query like  "EXPLOSIVES" and "AIRPLANE" is
obviously suspect ... (hope this mail is not scanned for keywords ...)

This is another measure that infringes privacy of honest people while it
does not prohibit criminals to do anything they want.

The library I referred to in my initial post is the library of a Technical
University. It has all its books on open shelves in a giant four stories
bookcase (see
http://www.library.tudelft.nl/ws/library/rondleidingen/index.htm#360tour).
There is no checking at the entrance. So everyone can read all books and
make photocopies (only for borrowing you have to be a registered member or a
student, which is logical). City libraries typically are open to the public
as well, and most books are in open shelves (but I have heard that in the UK
library personnel gets nervous if you take a book to a photocopier because
of more strict copyright enforcement in the UK).

Until recently, Dutch universities did not allow Iranian students to study
discliplines connected to nuclear physics - based on a UN declaration:
otherwise they would learn how to make a nuclear bomb. Well, if all the
books are in open shelves ... Recently a court decided that they should not
be banned. Frankly, I don't believe it is realistic to believe that someone
learns how to make a nuclear bomb in a technical university. Neither do I
believe that it can be prevented.

Perhaps people still think of a Pakistani
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Qadeer_Khan who was a researcher in the
Netherlands in the early 1970s (and studied at "my" university in the
1960s). After he returned to Pakistan, he became the "father" of the
Pakistan nuclear bomb. I guess the difference is that this gentleman had
access to very specific, secret technology (ultracentrifuges for uranium
enrichment).

reinier