[pp.int.general] mandatory identification in Internet shops?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Fri Feb 12 16:59:38 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 07:25 +0100, Reinier Bakels wrote:
> Yesterday I wanted to use Internet in a (state) university library.
> They asked me for my ID. Reason: computers had been used to sent
> threat mails, and the the police asked who had used the computer. And
> the library personnel said that nowadays you have to indentify
> yourself in any Internet shop - so they were no exception.
>
> Is that true? In my home country (Netherlands) I hardly ever use
> Internet shops services.
>
> I just made a long trip in Asia and used many internet shops there -
> and nobody ever asked for my ID. Yes, hotels ask your passport, but
> often I used Internet shops outside my hotel (if they are cheaper).
>
> It seems this is yet another anti-privacy measure that hurts only
> honest citizen. If I really would like to send threat mails, I still
> have ample opportinities (e.g. using snail mail). And it shows that
> the police is the single most serious threat to privacy. Collecting
> privacy-violating data is one thing, but a police that believes it
> "naturally" has access to *everything* really frightens me.

You mention Asia - I'm guessing not Thailand.

In Thailand you're supposed to be required to provide ID to use a
cybercafe. An additional issue there is that, due to the insurgency in
the Malay-Muslim south of the country no anonymous SIM cards can be
purchased. Apparently the insurgents got quite good at remote-detonating
IEDs containing a cellphone.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
Wikinewsie.org