[pp.int.general] mandatory identification in Internet shops?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Fri Feb 12 20:34:43 CET 2010

> You mention Asia - I'm guessing not Thailand.
>
> In Thailand you're supposed to be required to provide ID to use a
> cybercafe. An additional issue there is that, due to the insurgency in
> the Malay-Muslim south of the country no anonymous SIM cards can be
> purchased. Apparently the insurgents got quite good at remote-detonating
> IEDs containing a cellphone.

Apparently it depends where you are. I was on the Koh Pha Ngan island (known
for its Full Moon Party) and no one ever asked me for an ID, in various
cybershops. Same thing in Hua Hin.

I haven't tried in Bangkok, though.

I must admit, in Cambodia and Vietnam I used the PCs in my hotel - because
they were free of charge or cheap (1 dollar/hour in Phnom Penh). And hotels
usually ask for your passport - until you have paid. To be correct: also in
Cambodia and Vietnam I occasionally visited a cybershop. I Vietnam in Cantho
in a shop mostly used by locals - mostly youngsters playing games.

Do you perhaps look like a dangerous terrorist??? ;) (dangerous terrorists
are even worse than regular terrorists ...)

Re your other post: OF COURSE really bad people have escapes. It is typical:
it is a major nuisance for honest people, and dishonest people have
alternatives.

reinier