[pp.int.general] mandatory identification in Internet shops?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Fri Feb 12 20:49:48 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 20:34 +0100, Reinier Bakels wrote:
> > You mention Asia - I'm guessing not Thailand.
> >
> > In Thailand you're supposed to be required to provide ID to use a
> > cybercafe. An additional issue there is that, due to the insurgency in
> > the Malay-Muslim south of the country no anonymous SIM cards can be
> > purchased. Apparently the insurgents got quite good at remote-detonating
> > IEDs containing a cellphone.
> >
> Apparently it depends where you are. I was on the Koh Pha Ngan island (known
> for its Full Moon Party) and no one ever asked me for an ID, in various
> cybershops. Same thing in Hua Hin.
>
> I haven't tried in Bangkok, though.
>
> I must admit, in Cambodia and Vietnam I used the PCs in my hotel - because
> they were free of charge or cheap (1 dollar/hour in Phnom Penh). And hotels
> usually ask for your passport - until you have paid. To be correct: also in
> Cambodia and Vietnam I occasionally visited a cybershop. I Vietnam in Cantho
> in a shop mostly used by locals - mostly youngsters playing games.
>
> Do you perhaps look like a dangerous terrorist??? ;) (dangerous terrorists
> are even worse than regular terrorists ...)

Absolutely! I have facial hair! A crime against conformity and clear
indicator of my latent terrorist aspirations. :-P

> Re your other post: OF COURSE really bad people have escapes. It is typical:
> it is a major nuisance for honest people, and dishonest people have
> alternatives.

Most cybercafes I've used are really lax about letting you install
whatever you like on machines; later versions of Windows may have some
better protections on that, but you're usually dealing with
holidaymakers who may need something peculiar for their camera or such.

That leaves you able to easily install Vidalia - another avenue for
communicating untraceably.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
Wikinewsie.org