[pp.int.general] About PP Russia

Fedor Khod'kov fedor76 at istra.ru
Fri Feb 19 14:15:33 CET 2010

Hello, Stas!
No questions from me, just a couple of comments:

"ChooJoy at pirate-party.ru" <choojoy at pirate-party.ru> writes:
> As he realized that his ideas wouldn't be incorporated into
> the PPRU's position, he called the rest of us "traitors to the Pirate
> idea", disregarding my argument that from his perspective many Pirate
> Parties have to be labelled "traitors",

Quotes around phrase "traitors to the Pirate idea" leaves the impression
that you are citing me.  That's quite incorrect: while I used to
strongly criticize some of your arguments, I never said these particular
words.

I pointed out that your arguments often reduces to repeating copyright
lobby's propaganda and expressed my concerns about that.  As I said in
earlier answer to Boris, there is nothing wrong with members of party
disagree on some topic; but if party members would uncritically accept
enemy's lies, such a party won't go far.

> for the notion of a balance of
> interests between society and authors (one of the main ideas he was
> opposed to) is present in many pirate documents.

I mainly opposed to your idea that PPR should position itself as
authors' representatives.  You claimed what if PPR would represent the
interest of readers, listeners and software users, then nobody would
support it, except for freeloaders who just want to use authors' work
without paying.

This is bad idea because author's interest not always the same as the
public; and because no author gave us the authority to speak on behalf
of them.  One of primary mission of any PP is to explain what people
defending their right to share information not just freeloaders, they
actually have legitimate right to do so, whether authors support them or
not.  You seem to abandon this mission without even trying.

There would be nothing wrong if PPR would go on negotiations with
authors or their representatives; but on such negotiations PPR should
advocate on readers' behalf, not try to make itself authors' advocate
without even asking authors whether they want PPR to be their advocate
or not.
--
Fedor.