[pp.int.general] About PP Russia

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 01:23:32 CET 2010

Hi Pasi,
currently we are working on more elaborate positions, but what is
already available is a "declaration of goals" [1] and the Public Domain
Manifesto which has been translated and is in the process of being
officially adopted [2].

Here a rough translation of the declaration:

1. Freedom of information distribution and citizens' access to it
Non-commercial information sharing should be free in any form, any
environment and on any carriers. No persecution of its participants may
take place. Copyright laws and any other laws must not be used to punish
participants of non-commercial information sharing, to restrict the
authors' choice of cooperation partners, or to exercise censorship.

2. A reform of copyright legislation to benefit the actual authors and
the society, not the middlemen
A copyright system has to respect and reward authors without violating
the rights of other citizens.
The Russian legislation has to firmly accept international free licenses
like CC, GNU GPL/GFDL, BSD and others and allow their unlimited use.

3. A reform of the patent system
Patents have to provide incentives and rewards for inventors, not serve
as an artificial barrier for free competition

4. An orientation of administrative institution towards free and open
technologies
Citizens shall have the right to interact with government authorities
via fully open standards, protocols, file formats and using free software.
All results of the government's work including laws, regulations and
standards, have to be included into the public domain and be fully
available to the citizens.

5. Inviolability of private life
Government institutions may require only such information from a citizen
which is neccessary for them for the fulfilment of their duties. This
requirement has to be substantiated and may be appealed in court.
Gathering of information about citizens may be executed only by order of
court and only with respect to a citizen for whom a substantiated
suspicion of criminal behaviour exists.

Note to 2): currently, the use of for example free software in
businesses is legally questionable, as a GPL-licensed software is from
the law's point of view pretty close to "pirated software".

As to the positions of PPFI which you have presented, (1), (2) and (5)
is pretty much covered by the PPRU's positions while your (3) and (4)
(commercial protection and medical patents) are by themselves pretty
controversial (for example, the German PP currently doesn't have a clear
stance on medical patents and on the exact duration of commercial
protection aspired).

Best regards,
Boris

[1]
http://pirateparty.ru/wiki/index.php?title=%D0%94%D0%B5%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D1%86%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B9_%D0%9F%D0%B8%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%B8_%D0%A0%D0%A4
[2] http://publicdomainmanifesto.org