[pp.int.general] PPI's Consultation process and principles

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sun Feb 21 09:29:09 CET 2010

> You are correct in most of what you write so thanks for the effort of
> explaining on the list, but please note that we are a legal entity
> since 9th of October, 2009. We are declared as a  'Feitelijke
> vereniging' (or unincorporated association) under Belgian law and have

It may vary from country to country, but the importance of being a "legal
entity" should not  be overstimated. E.g. in my country an association can
be founded without registration - registration is only required to prevent
the board  members to be individually responsible for expenses. Without
registration, bankruptcy means private bankruptcy of the board members.
(Incidentally, in NL one can even found an assciation involuntarily - if one
is accused of participating in a "criminal association").

Being a registered association may also be useful for tax reasons.
Recognised public interest associatins may receive tax reductions. But
presently, PP is not really about money. is it? Or is e.g. the german
Pirantenpartei a "gemeinnutziger Verein" already?

Some governments only admit registered associations as political parties. In
NL there is a (far right) party which is an association with only one
member: the leader. He publlically stated that internal party democracy may
kill the party because of turmoil. The downbside is that he does not get
government subsidies because he has not enough members ...

Registering the party name as a brand name is something else. Allegedly
trademarks can also be registered nowadays outside the realm of trade.
Commercials firsm should be prevented from hijacking the PP or PPI name.

reinier