[pp.int.general] PPI's Consultation process and principles

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sun Feb 21 14:04:23 CET 2010

>> Registering the party name as a brand name is something else. Allegedly
>> trademarks can also be registered nowadays outside the realm of trade.
>> Commercials firsm should be prevented from hijacking the PP or PPI name.
>
> IANAL, but I believe proving our anteriority wrt to the name "Pirate
> Party" should be enough to prevent such situations -- except if said
> "trademark" was to be used in a totally different context, e.g. to
> sell pencils or whatever, in which case we wouldn't win even with a
> registered trademark.
>
> (BTW I'm really looking forward to see "Pirate Party" pencils and
> supermarkets everywhere ;)

Think of pirate parties organised by e.g. disco's where people dress up as
pirates ...

But a registration also prevents unauthorised use of pirate-like parties,
who perhaps spoil the public image of PP's.

BTW Bad faith trademark registration is not uncommon = some troll grabs the
name and extorts the "real" user of a name.

reinier