[pp.int.general] International public relations initial drafting process,

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Fri Feb 26 21:54:46 CET 2010

ATTN: Heads of parties

	It has come to my attention that we need to iron out details in regards
to press officers and press outfits. As the old adage goes, actions
speak louder than words; gesticulations, expressions, and outward
appearance will speak volumes about the person in question. So, in
short, we should evaluate who can say what to whom, and within what
capacity.
	I'm certain that each party has a designated officer that deals with
press and propaganda. I know we do. These officers speak on behalf of
the party and are representative as such; they are held to the highest
degree of responsibility. What these people do in their free time
outside of the party may directly affect the party, and as such, must
exercise some caution. However, when they are "on the clock" (so to
speak), they must always be alert and aware. Their statements directly
reflect the party (or, your party) as do their appearance. We must be
vigilant, as a majority of contemporary society is armed with recording
devices - arduous effort is required. To summarize: your actions are the
party's actions.
	Some context is required. http://vimeo.com/6647132 In this video,
Amelia is interviewed a gentleman. There are several factors in play:
traffic, other people, and poor audio support. Here is something to take
issue with: the phrasing. Terms like "information politics" and
"information freedom" are broad and nondescript - avoid them if
possible. Perhaps a good formula to use: if you lack confidence in
providing a cogent argument with a foreign language (I am assuming that
Amelia's primary language is Swedish), then request that the interviewer
try to accommodate to your native tongue. (I will cut some slack - not
everyone is gifted with confidence) I don't want to lecture anyone on
the nuances of etiquette, but things like this help: address the person;
look them in the eye; try to speak clearly as possible.
	Another point to bring up: dress. I'm not saying that everyone should
don an Armani suit, be clean shaven, or have a tophat. But if you wear a
t-shirt e.g. this: http://vimeo.com/6648645 . It only reinforces the
"Pirate Bay Party" mentality - which is not the best image to bolster.
The second issue that needs to be redressed is in terms of speaking. A
snippet from the conversation:
"What are you trying to do?"
"We're.. uh.. trying to maintain privacy" <- 'maintain privacy' is
ambiguous and varies from situation to situation. Perhaps use 'bolster
privacy litigation', as it implies that the law needs retrofitting
whereas the opposite implies that the law is nonexistent.
"What do you mean?" <- Good question.
"The way Holland is going now is that we're turning into a police
state...." <- 'police state' is ambiguous and implies persistent martial
law.
"What do you mean by police state?..."

	Also take note of this: connections are implications. Your social
networks including Facebook and Twitter can come back to haunt you. Just
be aware of that.

	I'd also like to make note of nomenclature. If you have a nonobvious
surname, say so, and ensure that the interviewer can pronounce it
correctly. Most cannot appropriately say mine, so I revert to fist-name
basis or enunciate my last name.

	Some notes from the US side of things:
	No, I will not allow solicitation or endorsement of illicit wholesale
filesharing. We will not act as the US branch of the Pirate Bay. Nor
will I lobby on their behalf, nor on the behalf of current or previous
operators of the site.

	Lord knows that we all have our faults - we are, after all, only human;
I know I have. But we should act in an upright and professional manner.

--
Glenn "Channel6" Kerbein
United States Pirate Party