[pp.int.general] International public relations initial drafting process,

Sven Clement sven.clement at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 13:56:36 CET 2010

Valentin,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Valentin Villenave
<v.villenave at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
> There two separate issues at stake here: the TPB shirt (or any other
> politically-marked shirt, for that matter) has to be worn solely as a
> humorous reference.
> I wouldn't mind seeing a Pirate with a Che Guevara T-shirt or even a
> "I <heart> RIAA" T-shirt, as long as it's surrounded with enough
> material -- speech, documents, etc. -- to make clear that this doesn't
> directly relate to what the PP actually is. In this regard, newspapers
> may do the trick (if we have enough space to explain our arguments
> very clearly) but TV interviews, for example, are to be dealt with in
> a much more cautious manner.

Thats what I meant with being cautious and still trying to be authentic, in
TV the appearance is at least as important as the content and people are
good in retaining imagery but bad in remembering spoken content, thus it is
important to be cautious when on TV.

> The second issue you're referring to is strictly a matter of personal
> taste wrt dress-code. And telling them (let alone *demanding* as Glenn
> does) what to wear is simply infantilizing and pointless. I enjoy
> wearing blazers and tailcoats, but I'm perfectly happy with one of my
> fellow pirates wearing street hoodies and the like. Being photographed
> together on the same picture always makes quite an impression ;-)

I have no problems with hoodies and/or shirts or anything else, as long as
the message is not "polluted" by people wearing t-shirts with other
political messages than the core message of the party, this is mostly to
guarantee that the images can stand for themselves. You may even wear
sandals and bermuda shorts as long as you are not the spokesperson for the
party, I like photos with diversity but I always try to be cautious about
spokespersons.

I do not want to impose a certain dress code, merely suggest one which works
for me. Everybody should be authentic and thus wear what he/she likes, but
trying to not "pollute" the political message should be one of the
considerations when choosing the clothes for a public appearance.

Sven