[pp.int.general] International public relations initial drafting process,

Kenneth Peiruza kenneth at contralaguerra.org
Sun Feb 28 07:06:05 CET 2010

Hi all,

    First of all, excuse my English, I'm just a Catalan guy with the sad
English level that the public Spanish education system gave me. In any
case, I hope you'll be able to understand me anyway.

    It looks like most of the active members of this list are Europeans
and probably this made us confuse Glenn's suggestion. He probably tried
to help us to improve our communication skills, but in our perspective
this wasn't properly understood.

    However cultural background, as well as journalism, is quite
different here in Europe from what they are used to see in the US.

    Obviously, conservative press isn't going to love us if we dress the
way young people dresses in Europe, but we are a young party with young
members and voters, and we, as western Europeans, are much more open
minded than our american counterparts.

    If you try to imagine an american´s point of view, you'll realize
that he just tried to help us within his cultural heritage, which, IMHO,
it's not necessary here, but can't hurt us neither. I do agree all
Pirate Parties need somebody who looks comfortable in a suit, but here
we don't need everybody to suit up. In fact, most young Europeans don't
have ay suit!

    Here, dressing up like we do is probably a good way to remark our
difference with the traditional 'establishment' parties, but it would be
really hard to succeed if they did so in the US.

    This is just another example of how different grass roots change how
do we see each others.

    If somebody is going to go to the states in order to help US's PP,
that person should take note of Glenn's suggestion, but that isn't the
case in the Netherlands nor in Spain, as far as I know.

    People doing international biz has knowledge/staff to act in the
best possible way to convince the other part. We lack these
resources/skills and, as it's free and sharing is good, maybe we should
have a wiki/piratepad so we can know how can we be more
successful/efficient/pleasant when traveling around. My 2 cents: rolling
up sleeves means "let's work" at the US or Spain, but it means "you're
not going to work" in Germany.

    The other point, the English mother tongue issue: here in Europe
it's worst to show that you don't speak English or that your level is
too low than having some mistakes. Trying to learn from Glenn's email it
looks like at the US it would be better to ask for a translator rather
than having some small mistakes.

    Realize that we do use English to communicate btw each others in
Europe, and, usually, neither of the participants is a native English
speaker. We got used to guess what the other person was trying to say,
not what he/she literally said.

    In short, Glenn, thank you for your suggestions, it will be of my
particular interest in any case. However, in my honest opinion the
things you pointed don't need to be fixed in an European framework.

Mai aniràs a dormir sense aprendre alguna cosa nova :D

Cheers,

Kenneth

En/na Christian Hufgard ha escrit: