[pp.int.general] Flashmob against full body scanners

Guilherme Bellia guilhermebellia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:54:57 CET 2010

According to gizmodo these are the images generated by the machine:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/01/is-it-this-easy-to-pull-straight-nude-pics-from-airport-scanners/

Btw, Folha de S. Paulo, big newspaper here in Brazil featured the german
Pirate Party action on the world wide page, very cool :)

Greetings,

G.B.

2010/1/11 <bakel362 at planet.nl>

>  My understanding is that the latest generation of full body scanners does
> not require a human to assess images: it is done by a computer (that does
> not know what a penis is!). If the computer says that the person is suspect,
> further testing is done (but afaik not using the image).
>
> I am not saying that customes authorities have solved the privacy problem,
> but I do believe that a smarter PP response is required to this new(?)
> development. It should be avoided that we cry out for privacy - while the
> respone is: privacy is not affected at all, the computer analysind the
> images is "neutral".
>
> Does anyone know whether these scanners use X-ray (R"ontgen)? If they do,
> they are a health risk, however low the dose is. X-rays are high energy
> radiation (for thoese not familiar in quantum physics: this is not a matter
> of the amout of energy in watts: it is entirely determined by the frequency
> of the radiation - based on Plancks formula). The actual percentage of
> people contracting cancer because of these scans may be low, but a high
> number of people multiplied by a low percentrage still is a substantial
> number of people. A cynical calculation would be to compare that number to
> the number of potential terrorist attack victims. I guess the latter i
> lower. But rather I would say: any checking method affecting health is
> *wrong*. Affecting privacy is bad enough.
>
> reinier

Guilherme Bellia

http://twitter.com/gbellia