[pp.int.general] Flashmob against full body scanners

quemener.yves at free.fr quemener.yves at free.fr
Mon Jan 11 14:59:53 CET 2010

----- bakel362 at planet.nl a écrit :

> My understanding is that the latest generation of full body scanners
> does not require a human to assess images: it is done by a computer
> (that does not know what a penis is!). If the computer says that the
> person is suspect, further testing is done (but afaik not using the
> image).

The "people see my genitals !" argument has been widely used in mainstream newspapers, but I am not sure the issue is really here. One of the arguments against these scanners is that they are costly, slow, and completely useless. The core issue is that the anti-terrorist clique wants us to get used to the pervasiveness of controls without having to prove their efficiency. There has already been "rectal bombs" transported to a plane that this detector would completely fail to detect.

The point that angers me the most is that, as taxpayers, I will contribute to the buy of these machines which sole effect will be to slow down an already incredibly long check at airport entrances.