[pp.int.general] Flashmob against full body scanners

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Jan 12 01:33:35 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 14:59 +0100, quemener.yves at free.fr wrote:
> ----- bakel362 at planet.nl a écrit :
>
> > My understanding is that the latest generation of full body scanners
> > does not require a human to assess images: it is done by a computer
> > (that does not know what a penis is!). If the computer says that the
> > person is suspect, further testing is done (but afaik not using the
> > image).
>
> The "people see my genitals !" argument has been widely used in mainstream newspapers, but I am not sure the issue is really here. One of the arguments against these scanners is that they are costly, slow, and completely useless. The core issue is that the anti-terrorist clique wants us to get used to the pervasiveness of controls without having to prove their efficiency. There has already been "rectal bombs" transported to a plane that this detector would completely fail to detect.
>
> The point that angers me the most is that, as taxpayers, I will contribute to the buy of these machines which sole effect will be to slow down an already incredibly long check at airport entrances.
> ______

The possibility I wondered about when they banned all liquids on flights
that weren't bought after security checkpoints came from reading about
widespread cheating on drug tests in cycling. Competitors would use a
catheter to fill their bladder with urine from someone else who'd pass
the test.

You'd obviously need two people to keep explosive components separate
until on-board, and the liquid chemicals likely would be very bad
internally - but they're intending to die anyway.

Two "martyrs", around $50 of chemicals and relatively normal medical
equipment, that trumps billions equipping every international airport
with these stupid scanners.

And it took me all of 5 minutes to come up with that idea.

So, when can we expect a "piss test" to get on a plane? Which they'll,
conveniently, combine with a drugs test.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
Wikinewsie.org