[pp.int.general] Flashmob against full body scanners

Erika Nilsson narnigrin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 15:42:17 CET 2010

Whether privacy is *actually* affected or not, my understanding is that the
UK is talking about only scanning over-18s - and the only possible reason
for that is the fear of a public uproar due to fears of paedophiles etc. The
result is, of course, only to cement people's belief that airport staff will
really be looking at nude pictures of travellers. In the end, it makes the
whole enterprise completely useless (just strap the bombs to children
instead of adults).

I tend to agree that the worst bit about this is that we as taxpayers have
to contribute to something which is ineffective at best and a serious health
and/or privacy concern at worst. Arguably, any way of getting public opinion
against body scanners, be it through playing on people's (possibly
misinformed) fears of "some guy looking through my clothes", is perhaps a
good thing.