[pp.int.general] Flashmob against full body scanners

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 17:11:08 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:49 PM, <bakel362 at planet.nl> wrote:

>  My understanding is that the latest generation of full body scanners does
> not require a human to assess images: it is done by a computer (that does
> not know what a penis is!). If the computer says that the person is suspect,
> further testing is done (but afaik not using the image).
>
> I am not saying that customes authorities have solved the privacy problem,
> but I do believe that a smarter PP response is required to this new(?)
> development. It should be avoided that we cry out for privacy - while the
> respone is: privacy is not affected at all, the computer analysind the
> images is "neutral".

While some of the newer body scanners may be operated by a computer, most
won't and are you sure the pictures will not be stored in up to 18 months
(or longer) for manual checking? This development will also pave the way for
other places were body scanners will be used such as the mobile ones that
the Dutch police is founding the development of:

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2010/01/dutch_police_develop_mobile_bo.php

I tend to think that if we do not make a big deal out of it, we will have
them in every street corners like the cameras in UK..

- Nicolas
   PPI / PPSE member